Mid Valley Family YMCA Community Garden
In 2017 our club approved the
financing of a new gardening area for the six preschool classes at the Mid Valley Family YMCA. On April 4, following our Southern California Garden Club
Board Meeting, we, along with several officials of
the YMCA, dedicated this lovely garden area.
Gail Vanderhorst spearheaded this project from beginning to end. Gail also requested and received necessary equipment and tools from the Ames Tool Company.
The "tiny tots" can now plant, cultivate, and harvest their crops. It was a delight to see so many preschoolers and their teachers beginning a new learning experience in their newly finished gardens. Perhaps they will become garden club members in the future!
Butterfly Garden at the Sepulveda Garden Center
After months of planning and planting, Southern California Garden Club dedicated the Butterfly Garden at the Sepulveda Garden Center in Encino, CA on October 30, 2010. The garden is located east of the Rose Garden and a short distance from the building. The Butterfly Garden is open to public during times when the Sepulveda Garden Center is open.
Walk though the garden on a rock edged path past the handmade birdhouse and water feature and then rest for awhile on the new bench to enjoy watching the visiting butterflies.
To see pictures of the Garden Dedication CLICK HERE.
Rose Garden at the Sepulveda Garden Center
Our club members maintain the 175 roses in the rose garden at the Sepulveda Garden Center. There are work days scheduled throughout the year. In January each year, the San Fernando Valley Rose Society joins us for the annual rose pruning.
The weather cooperated for our rose pruning on January 16, 2016. We had a total of 17 people participate and finished in record time.
2015 AWARDS RECEIVED
- Club newsletter – 1 st Place & $35
- Membership Brochure – 1 st Place
- Smokey Bear Poster Contest – 1 st, 2 nd, 4 th, 5 th Grades – 1 st Place & $25
- Smokey Bear Poster Contest – 3 rd Grade – 2 nd Place
- Youth Poetry Contest – 6 th & 8 th Grades – 1 st Place & $5
- Youth Sculpture Contest – 1 st Place & $50 and 2 nd Place & $25
- Blue Ribbon Certificate of Achievement
Pacific Region Awards
- Club newsletter – 1 st Place & $20
- Membership Brochure – 1 st Place & $20
- Youth Sculpture Contest – 6 th & 8 th Grades – 1 st Place
- Smokey Bear Poster Contest – 1 st, 2 nd Grades – 1 st Place
- Smokey Bear Poster Contest – 4 th Grade – 2 nd Place
National Garden Clubs Awards
- Smokey Bear Poster Contest – 2 nd Grade – 1 st Place
- Youth Sculpture Contest – 6 th & 8 th Grades – 2 nd Place
Certificate of Appreciation
County of LA – from Olive View, UCLA Medical Center
- Arbor Day tree planting
- Sponsor for CGCI Award PR-5
- Penny Pines Reforestation Program
- Maintenance of the Rose Garden at the Sepulveda Garden Center
- Participation in Campo de Cahuenga Commemoration Ceremony
- Preservation of native flora
- Saving postage stamps
- Support California Garden Clubs, Inc. (CGCI) projects
- Support National Garden Clubs, Inc. (NGC) projects
- Blue Star Memorial Marker
- Two - $1000 Scholarships
- Support NGC Educational Schools
- Smokey Bear / Woodsy Owl Poster Contest
- Saving Campbell 's Soup labels, batteries, eyeglasses, coupons, 6-pack tops, pop-top tabs, Albertson's / Sav-On receipts - to help us save CLICK HERE.