The longest established, largest and most active garden club
in the San Fernando Valley
invites YOU to become a member.
Southern California Garden Club meets the
third Tuesday of the month at 9:30 A.M. at the
Sepulveda Garden Center,16633 Magnolia Blvd., Encino
- 115 Members
- Founded June 13, 1927
- Charter Member of
- California Garden Clubs, Inc., December 1931
This year the Southern California Garden Club is pleased to announce a unique scholarship options for senior high school students continuing to college and current university students already enrolled in agricultural science or horticulture related curricular areas.
Each year the Southern California Garden Club offers up to three scholarships to qualified students. These scholarships are $500 to $1000 each.
Click below to download the 2017 Scholarship Application:
Click here for the MSWord version
Click here for the PDF version
The scholarship recipient will be notified in May 2017 and then awarded at our club meeting held at the Sepulveda Garden Center, Encino in June 2017.
Scholarship Application Instructions
APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETE and must be postmarked by April 1, 2017.
Requirements for scholarship applicants:
- High School senior student or college student enrolled in a public or private school.
- You must be a resident within Los Angeles, Ventura or San Bernardino Counties.
- Transcripts indicating a GPA of 3.0 or higher are required.
- You must be accepted and enrolled in a two or four-year college or university in a program focusing on Horticulture, Landscaping, Botany, Biology, and Earth Science or related major.
- If you are selected as the scholarship winner you will be required to provide proof of residence.
- An essay of no more than two single spaced typed pages is required for all scholarship applications. State your educational and personal goals. Include a brief statement telling about yourself and any extracurricular activities in which you have participated related to your professional goals. Describe what influenced you and why you are pursuing a major or career in your chosen scientific field. Include community service/volunteer work that you have completed; a verification letter of participation will be considered with extra weight during the application review.
- Include two letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, professor, or non family related adult who can affirm your character and accomplishments. Statements from family members will not be accepted. The recommendation letters should be signed by the person and must include his or her phone number for verification purposes.
- You are required to attend the college or university indicated. Enrollment verification will be required prior to fund distribution.
- Sign and date your application. Mail your application, Essay, Letters of Recommendation, transcripts, and Letter(s) of Verification postmarked by April 1, 2017 to:
- Southern California Garden Club/ scholarship committee
- Rosemary Ecker
- 18908 Cantara St.
- Reseda, CA 91335
A committee reviews the applications and the recommendation is presented to our board for approval. The candidates are notified and then given further instruction about the awards and procedures.